Cyber Security vs Artificial Intelligence (AI)
With every single day, technology is growing at faster speed and digitalization of businesses, entertainment, trends, AI trends, and new technologies making it possible for consumers to get anything they want at the speed of light because service providers are now capable of delivering it. With every ease and benefit, technology risks are emerging on a parallel basis. One of the most critical concerns these days is the protection of private data of technology users which is on a stake from the past decade. Cyber attacks are becoming common and effecting businesses, economies, individuals and governments on a larger scale. With hundreds of cases every year, the need for Cyber Security is intensifying as cybercriminals are becoming stronger and target achievers these days.
Role of AI in Cyber Security
Since AI and machine learning are making things automated and reducing human resources, these technologies can be used as a weapon by cyber criminals to automate theft on a larger scale to cause destruction of whole businesses and empires. Here we come to the point where human resource is required to tackle these challenges. As AI systems are improvising, they are getting more vulnerable to hacks by providing advance features to criminals at a lower cost. AI can be deployed so efficiently to destroy network that one can never be aware that there systems and networks are affected.
Machine learning and AI are opening new gateways which will automate systems and train them to detect intrusion before any cyber criminal hack information. Machine learning is playing a vital role in Cyber Security by enabling computers to understand data which it has to receive process and transfer while understanding the situation of threats and theft with more precision as compared to the human.
Examples of AI in Cyber Security
- Passwords are considered as fragile form of security these days as they are the only hurdle between hacker and information. AI is introducing more advanced form of biometric verification which improve reliability and security of information. Well known iPhone X smartphone has enabled “Face ID” feature which works on facial feature through internal neural engines and infra-red sensors and provide a more sophisticated form of face recognition. No one in a million will be able to fool this security system- claimed by Apple.
- Machine learning and AI are practical in control of phishing attacks. Phishing is a form of cyber attack where the attacker can send payload via email and hack your entire system. Computers with active AI and ML algorithms can trace more than 10,000 working phishing resources, scan threats globally and distinguish between fake and real websites quickly.
- Vulnerability management through human resources seems impossible; as 2000 individual vulnerabilities are reported this year. AI systems are taking charge to identify any vulnerability before exploitation by tracing criminal’s discussions, patterns used by them, the reputation of a hacker, etc.
- Malware threats are growing in millions every month and can cause disasters in the digital world. Artificial intelligence helps in pattern recognition of harmful software/tools. Whereas machine learning analyzes the path of websites to make sure that either they are leading towards any malicious domain or not. In case of successful detection of malicious programs, the AI system discriminates such files from systems before they make any change. AI security programs are trained to identify ransomware attacks and protect systems from getting encrypted by predictive analytics.
- Network security two major factors are topography and security policy- both of these factors are time-consuming. AI can be used to observe traffic patterns and for security suggestions by saving time and human effort.
- Machine learning is focused on the behavior analysis of the user. It means ML algorithms observe the usual behavior of a user of a system and in case of any unusual activity; it will take it as a suspicious entry and block that user.
- AI is providing multi-factor authentication to systems to manage access permissions to critical information on the basis of network and location.
While AI and ML are efficient enough to perform security operations yet Cyber Security firms are facing challenges in access to malware codes and anomalies which is time-consuming and requires huge cost. In addition to that, deployment of ML and AI systems need extra-ordinary computing platforms which have efficient memory, processing power, and data consumption. To enable good defense against cyber criminals-installation of firewalls, malware scanners, filters for outgoing traffic, testing of vulnerabilities, the audit of hardware and software must be deployed and make sure that they are up to date.